History of Harlaw Bowling Club

The Harlaw Bowling Club Inverurie, Aberdeenshire in a prominent position on Harlaw Road.

There has been a bowling green on this site since the turn of the last century when the ground was given, by the Loco Works, to their workers for recreational purposes. The green itself was constructed using the blood, sweat, tears and wheelbarrows of the workers, in their free time, and opened for play in 1903. In 1914 a clubhouse was added, which still forms the core of the much extended and modernised clubhouse that we have today. In 1970, following the demise of the Loco Works, a small group of dedicated bowlers purchased the club and renamed it Harlaw B.C.

Over the subsequent years many improvements have been made e.g a member’s lounge bar, extra toilets (including disabled) and changing room has been added and in 2008 a complete refurbishment of the main clubhouse was undertaken.

From the handful of enthusiasts in 1970, the membership has grown steadily and now comprises over 120 playing members and over 20 social. In some eyes bowling is still seen as an ‘old man’s sport’ but we would like to dispute this and convey bowling as a sport that has no barriers to age, sex or abilities. At our club all ages are welcome and all levels of ability, with free coaching available for beginners.

Importantly both Ladies and Gentlemen share equal rights and regularly compete in mixed competitions. We have varied abilities at our club and currently have a very strong squad of bowlers including county and international players as well as a lot of newcomers to the game all keen to learn, develop and most importantly enjoy the sport and team spirit involved in bowls.

Both Ladies and Gents compete in a number of leagues and competitions playing against many clubs throughout the north-east on a home and away basis, and we host an open competition, an invitation tournament and at least one County match attracting bowlers from further afield.